Serving Size: Serves 8 | Prep time: 3 hours 20min | Cook Time: 22min
If you’re searching for a healthy comfort food recipe, we’ve got the perfect one for you!
This Low-Carb, Keto Friendly, Chicken Pot Pie Recipe will wow your whole family, and satisfy your cravings without all the carbs! Don’t let the prep-time scare you, we logged it on the long side for those of you who choose to cook your chicken in the slow cooker, you can also use an instant pot or a rotisserie chicken to speed up the timeline. This recipe come’s together super easy, and is SO yummy! Enjoy!
For the Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup mixed veggies
- 1/4 small onion diced
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- pinch thyme
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
For the Crust:
- 4 1/2 tablespoons of butter melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (or a heaping 1/2 cup of almond flour)
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella shredded
- Cook 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. chicken in the instant pot for 15 min. on high pressure with 1/2 cup of water. Or, cook chicken in the slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Or if you want to speed things up, you can also use a rotisserie chicken and shred it instead.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sauté onion, mixed veggies, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in 2 tablespoons butter in an oven safe skillet for approximately 5 min or until onions are translucent.
- Add heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, thyme, and rosemary.
- Sprinkle Xanthan Gum on top and simmer for 5 minutes so that the sauce thickens. Make sure to simmer covered as the liquid will evaporate otherwise. (You need a lot of liquid for this recipe, otherwise, it will be dry.)
- Add shredded/diced chicken.
- Make the breading by combining melted butter (I cool mine by popping the bowl in the fridge for 5 min), eggs, salt, and sour cream in a bowl then whisk together.
- Add coconut flour (or almond flour) and baking powder to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in cheese.
- Drop batter by dollops on top of the chicken pot pie. Do not spread it out, as the coconut flour (or almond flour) will absorb too much of the liquid.
- Bake in a 400º oven for 15-20 min.
- Set oven to broil and move chicken pot pie to top shelf. Broil for 1-2 minutes until bread topping is nicely browned. Sprinkle a little dried parsley on top if desired.
Nutrition Facts: Calories: 297kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.3g | Protein: 11.6g | Fat: 17g | Fiber: 2g